Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Vegan Chocolate Cake

I first typed "Perfect Chocolate Cake," but then I realized this wasn't gluten-free, so it's not entirely perfect. I really meant to use all-purpose gluten-free flour and I totally forgot. So give it a whirl. Let me know how it goes.



I'm embarrassed to say where I got this recipe, though I don't know why. I wish I could say I pulled it from the pages of some fancy schmancy French-titled chocolate-themed periodical, but really I tweaked it from the back of the Hershey's cocoa can. What? I was in a hurry. And it works! My husband says this is THE moistest cake he's EVER had. So there.



Almost Perfect Chocolate Cake
1 c sugar
3/4 c agave
1 3/4 c flour
3/4 c cocoa
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 c applesauce
1 c soy milk
1/2 c canola oil
2 tsp vanilla
1/4 c boiling water

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour two 9" pans.
Combine dry ingredients in large bowl. Add applesauce, milk, oil, and vanilla, beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water. Pour into prepared pans. Bake 30 minutes until toothpick clean.

Frosting: 
1/2 c Earth Balance vegan butter
2/3 c cocoa
3 c powdered sugar
1/3 c soy milk
1 tsp vanilla

Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add sugar and milk, beating on medium speed. Stir in vanilla.


1 comment:

  1. I love this cake. So quick and easy. It's now our standard birthday cake. Only we omit the agave and use coconut oil instead of canola.

    ReplyDelete